Black Friday is here and the holiday shopping season is officially in full force until Hanukkah and Christmas. Ready to skip the crazy crowds, insane parking and long lines typically found at big box stores and malls? Shop small this holiday season and support small and local businesses while saving yourself time, hassle and one big headache! Plus, find some of the most unique gifts made by artisans from Chicago and around the world. Here are some places we love to get you started.
• Christkindlmarket at Daley Plaza – Enjoy this traditional European open-air market by browsing everything from Old World trinkets to mountain goat wool coats. Sip on a warm cup of hot cocoa and listen to traditional holiday entertainment as you wander amd enjoy this unique shopping experience. And who doesn’t love free admission? The Christkindlmarket is open now through Christmas Eve.
• One of a Kind Show Chicago – Chicago’s most “ONEderful” time of the year! A refreshing alternative to traditional retail, the show is the ideal place to find one-of-a-kind gifts for everyone on your list! Shop small AND handmade! The show runs December 3 – 6 at the Merchandise Mart. Start shopping!
• Oak Lawn & Orland Park – The small businesses of the two towns are holding special events tied to Small Business Saturday (11/28) in which most of the shops and business are offering deals and snacks and coffee to customers on Small Business Saturday.
• Wicker Park & Bucktown – The Wicker Park and Bucktown neighborhoods of Northwest Chicago provide for a thriving area filled with historic arts, culture and restaurants. With hundreds of hip boutiques, lounges and restaurants, and community events, the WPB neighborhoods are sure to entertain the whole family. WPB nightlife is not to be missed!
• The upscale Lincoln Park neighborhood, just north of Chicago, is home to many upscale national retailers, boutiques, bookstores, restaurants and coffee shops and a wonderful neighborhood to walk by foot. The Lincoln Park Zoo, which is situated in the neighborhood, is a free activity that is great for families with children as an alternative to shopping.
• The nearby Burr Ridge neighborhood, situated in the southwest suburbs offers TONS of services and shops offered by small businesses, not to mention a variety of fantastic independently owned restaurants. Check out the shops and boutiques in the Burr Ridge Village Center and the abundance of good eats, all just a hop, skip and a jump away, in Burr Ridge!
Shopping small doesn’t only benefit the business, it also benefits the customers! Benefits of shopping small include friendly, personalized service and shopping in a smaller, locally-owned store is much more comfortable to shop in than a big box store. If you are planning on shopping this holiday season, consider shopping small, it benefits both parties! Now get your shop on.
Want to save up to 40% on your hotel stay? Stay in Burr Ridge, voted Chicago’s #1 suburb! Choose from the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge, SpringHill Suites Burr Ridge, Extended StayAmerica Burr Ridge and the Oaks Hotel & Conference Center. Four great hotels, four price points and plenty of great restaurants! (Just 18 miles from McCormick Place on I-55 at County Line Road (1/2 mile south of I-294).